Breakfast @Apple

My students start their morning as follows:

1. Put their things away in their lockers.
2. Pick up their breakfast.
3. Eat while talking with their friends or working on school work.
4. When done, clean up and put all trash away.
5. As they finish they come up and sit on the floor near my desk.

As students finish, I allow them to use whatever iDevice I’m not using. I always have my iPad and iPhone with me, and try to remember to bring my iPod Touch when possible. This leads to having a possibility of three devices to share with my students.

I generally pick out the app or interactive book I want them to use. Sometimes I will allow them to choose from a particular folder of apps. They must remain seated on the floor (keeps the devices safe) and must share. Its neat to see how engaged they are when using these devices. My students don’t have access to these types of devices very often otherwise.

Two of their favorite apps are Stack the States and Stack the Countries. They also like to play some of the Everyday Math apps.

The students respect the devices and appreciate the opportunity to use them. Behavior, damage or theft are not a concern. When we’re ready to start the rest of our day, the iPhone goes back on my belt clip, the iPod touch stays in my pocket and the iPad is stored in the stand I use. Occasionally students will use one of the devices to look up a word, or look something up.